Home security is a very important part of life. Having a secure home gives homeowners peace of mind. The last thing you want to be worrying about is your family's safety in your own home. This is why so much effort is put into ensuring your home is as safe as possible.
Home safety and security is definitely one area where homeowners should never cut corners. Take the time to consider all precautions so you can rest easier knowing your property is protected against intruders and other dangers that may lurk around your home.
Security for your home starts with the outside:
1. Install motion sensors: Installing motion sensors provides additional lighting on your property. This will help signal to you that someone is on your property or near your home at night.
2. Have a fenced yard: Having a fenced yard will help keep out unwanted intruders. It will also help keep out unwanted animals such as skunks and raccoons.
3. Get to know your neighbors: Developing a friendly relationship with your neighbors will go a long way to ensuring home safety. Good neighbors will take note of suspicious individuals and may keep an eye on your home when you are not there.
Security for your home continues on the inside:
1. When buying a resale home, one of the first things you should do is change all the exterior door locks: you never know how many duplicate keys there may be!
2. Invest in sturdy locks: Reinforce all keyed locks with a dead bolt. Make sure the dead bolt you add extends at least one inch when locked, to resist heavy blows.
3. Get an alarm system installed: A good alarm system is more than worth the investment. It will notify alarm monitoring station and/or Police if anything in your home has been compromised. The louder the alarm the more effective it will be for home security.
3.Secure all doors and windows: Make sure that all accessible doors and windows are properly reinforced so they cannot be forced open easily. Make sure you always close all doors and windows when you are not home. When you go on vacation make sure you home is completely secure before you leave. Notify a neighbor and get them to keep an eye on your home. Also, get a family member to come by and check on your home and pick up the mail. Set timers for outdoor lights and don't forget to set your alarm system before you leave.
Taking the time to time to improve your home's security is time well spent. Your home, family and possessions will be safer because of it. If you don't already have a monitored in-home alarm system, and are considering one, talk to us for great preferred rates through the ADT real estate referral program. Huge savings + 24 hour monitored protection = peace of mind!
Paul Magnus, Timothy J. Burke and Kalev Koop - Sales Representatives
Coldwell Banker Terrequity Realty, Brokerage - 416-366-8800